Nokia Lumia 520 - Software update and downloads
Latest software update
The availability of this update may depend on your network service provider. To check for updates, on your phone, tap Settings > phone update.
- Start screen enhancements: add a 3rd column of Live Tiles, and use your favorite photo as a custom tile background
- Action center: swipe down from the top of the screen to see notifications, and customise the quick actions to access important settings easily
- Treats for you: set ringtone and media volume separately, swipe down to close apps in the App Switcher, and glide your finger on the Word Flow keyboard for faster typing
- Update your Nokia Storyteller, Creative Studio, and Nokia Camera apps to get great new features. Available from the Store app.
- Save some space – now you can download and install apps and files on a microSD card
- Free upgrade to Here Drive+ with voice navigation. Available from the Store app.
- Improvements to stability and performance
Tips for a successful software update
There can be several updates available for your phone, so you may need to repeat the process a few times to get to the latest version. Follow all the update prompts so that you don’t miss out on any of the latest goodies. To see your current software version, go to Settings > extras + info.
How to update software
Step 1. Your phone notifies you when an update is available for you. You can also check for updates by going to Settings > PhoneUpdate and tapping Check for updates.
- Tip! Use a Wi-Fi network to download the update and avoid mobile data transmission costs. Before starting the update, connect to a charger or make sure your phone has enough battery power (at least 50%). You might also need to make enough space on your phone for the update (up to 1.5 GB, depending on the phone model). To check for available free space, go to Settings > storage sense (storage check).
Step 3. The update should take around 15-30 minutes, but a major update could take up to 2 hours to complete depending on your phone model. You are not able to use your phone during the update installation. Follow all the update prompts, and do not worry if your phone restarts several times during the process, that is completely normal.
Additional app updates from the Store could be needed to fully enable new features for your phone. You will get the app update notification on the Store app shortly after the software update.
From Lumia Denim update onwards, you can install phone updates more easily by scheduling them for a time that works best for you. You can find the Preferred install time option from Settings > Phone Update. Some of the phones now also support downloading updates to a memory card. For more information, see the Software Update FAQs section.